There is a point every Rochester winter when you can’t uncover the cause of the draft in your home. It could theoretically be emanating from a window that isn’t shut or sealed correctly. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes uneasy and cold, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air seeping into your home
- Larger heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help limit spending and reduce drafty air from entering your home, it’s critical to be able to identify where these window drafts may be coming from and why. Here are some beneficial tips to find your Rochester home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Search for gaps and fractures in uncommon points of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic doors or just the usual windows with functional capabilities and use a painless visual inspection.
- Check to ensure that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Ensure the sealant or gasket by the operable portion of the window or door is accurately sealing.
- Inspect the installation by verifying if the draft is coming through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only operate as well as it is set up.
- Call an expert from Pella Windows and Doors in Rochester to have them conduct a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is coming from, the next step is to attend to the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Rochester a call at 507-847-1060 with any further questions or potential replacement needs.